Monday, September 23, 2013

St Andrews

This weekend I got to live a childhood dream - visiting St Andrews, Scotland. Learning to play the game of golf and watching the British Open with my Dad are treasured memories of my childhood. When I got the chance to visit the place where golf began, I took it.  The 22 hours of travel over the course of 2 days was 100% worth it.
The First Tee and 18th Green of The Old Course
The town of St Andrews was much more than I had imagined. To be honest, I was going for the golf, but it turned out to be one of the most spectacular places I've ever been, golf aside.
Martyrs Monument erected 1842 commemorating the Protestant reformers executed in St Andrews 300 years earlier during the Scottish Reformation

The entire town is walkable in one day, but to get a true appreciation of the city and it's rich history, you could spend a lot of time here.  I was able to take in some of the scenery before playing golf in the afternoon. Castle ruins and St Andrews Cathedral like those below are set amongst modern residences/businesses right off main street. Very visible is the regions violent history.

St Andrew's Castle overlooking the North Sea, originally built in 1189.  Destroyed and rebuilt several times as it changed hands between the Scots and English, what remains was built 1400.

St Andrews Cathedral, built 1158 was the center of the Medieval Catholic Church in Scotland. It fell into ruin during 16th century Scottish Reformation, after which Catholic mass was outlawed.
 
The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews is one of the oldest and most prestigious golf clubs in the world. The clubhouse shown below overlooks the 1st tee of the Old Course. 
For all my travels, I was not able to play the Old Course, where the British Open is played every 5 years. By the time I arrived by bus, there were already 50 people in line to take 12 single slots. Part of the reason it is so tough for the public to play the Old Course is the fact the course is closed for events and tournaments much of the year. During the month of September for example, the course was only open 7 days. The course is also closed on Sundays. I was able to play the "New Course" and part of the "Jubilee Course" which are owned and operated by the St Andrews Trust, the same charitable organization that runs the Old Course.  The holes I played were right along the West Sands Beach of the North Sea. Many of the holes were intermixed with the Old Course. Although, certainly not the legacy of the Old Course, it was still neat to play along the beach where the game began.
  
 At the end of the day I asked a gentleman to take a picture of me in front of the clubhouse. In talking for a while he mentioned he was lucky enough to be a member of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews and asked if I would like a tour through the private clubhouse. What luck! There were rooms with all the clubs throughout golf's history, there was a library that had to hold over 10,000 books - all of them on golf. He took me through the lockers where golf's greatest players prepared for battle on the links. There were many trophy rooms, but the most impressive sight inside was the original Claret Jug, given to the British Open Champion since 1872, and still is to this day. The Claret Jug is on the right in my picture below.  The Challenge Belt (middle) was awarded to the Open champion prior to 1872, and the large trophy on the left goes to the British Amateur Champion.
The short trip to St Andrews is one I will never forget.
"Tom Morris" - 18th hole of the Old Course at St Andrews

No comments:

Post a Comment