Sunday, September 8, 2013

My first days..

Entering England I understood there was a lot to learn. I knew they drove on the other side of  the road, but it was still strange getting in the passenger seat.  And yes, everyone here drinks Red Bull.


My first month I will be working for Mazars in their Milton Keynes office.  This is a city about the size of Charleston, 45 minutes north of London.  I live in an apartment in the city center which is convenient because without a car I walk everywhere.  Living in a high rise takes some getting used to but I can't argue with the view!


A few of the things I have already learned:
  • Every outlet has a switch to turn it on or off. Be careful in the kitchen to turn off the stove but not the refrigerator.
  • Most apartments like mine don't have "AirCon" (air conditioning) in them because it is so mild year round.
  • Cloths are washed and dried in the same magical device.
  • There are coins for what seem to be every denomination (I have considered buying a man purse).
  • The term "quid" means pound and they count pennies in "pence" (cents).
My first day of exploring I went for a run through Campbell Park.  It is one of the many parks nearby.  It has areas with animals and amusements for children, sculptures and quiet vistas overlooking windmills. At the very end of the park there are two large ponds, one is used for paddle boating and canoeing and the other is a cable park for wakeboarders.
 A little cricket anyone?

Families canoeing at Willen Lake

 MK Cable Park
 
Rivers wind through the entire park, making it very scenic. A little too scenic, I got lost and my 5mi run turned into a 10 mile run. I'm not a runner and I was definitely feeling it on Sunday!
 
 
My first weekend in Milton Keynes ended after a round on the links. I got paired up with a couple of guys who were hilarious and they did not stop making fun of my American accent.  After the round I grabbed my first pint in England and traded some stories on customs and culture.  It is amazing how different our cultures are, but how similar we live our lives and love our families.
A beautiful day for golf in England!
 
Time to get geared up for my first day in office tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment